Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Shot of the Day #182: Sky High FAIL

Shot with iphone. Click to enlarge.

So today was supposed to be a record-setting day for ATTACK OF THE SHOW, which is fast approaching it's 1000th episode. I really like everyone who works on the show, from Kevin & Olivia to all the behind the scenes folks that make live television happen every day; its a small miracle the show has been chugging along this long to constitute a 1000th episode, but well-deserved to all involved. So part of the celebration was to be part of the Guinness Book of Worlds Records for the "World's Largest Tweet", where they hired a biplane to scrawl a Twitter message of 140 characters across the Los Angeles sky for all to see, with the G-people on-hand to record the event for official purposes. We were all told to come out at 4pm to share in the sky-sight, so I pushed all my other meetings and modified the To Do list so I could go down and...I dunno...be on-hand to show support and maybe get a SOTD snap out of it too. This was a quickly organized event and fingers were crossed that it was gonna go down without a hitch. There was an electricity in the office too, people were clearly excited to see this happen. I mean, its not every day you're in the middle of history being made. So I went down at 4pm, hoping I wouldn't miss a moment. Fortunately, I didn't...Unfortunately. noone else was outside yet. Strange.

At 4:10pm, The word was heard the plane hadn't even left. OK...shit happens.

At 4:30pm, we heard the plane JUST left, so he's a half hour late. Lame-sauce.

At 4:45pm, with people outside finally gathered to watch....no plane. Hmmm. The picture you see before you is of JP Shub, producer extrodinairre, member of the Rock band THUNDERDIKK and a huge horror and metal nerd. I was hoping for a cool shot through his GG Alin Sunglasses, but alas...no huge cloud Twit.

At 4:50pm someone said, "I just heard, the plane isn't coming", and a collective groan emanated from the group. So the producer on-hand shot some faked "ooohs" and "ahhhs", some finger pointing to the air, just in case it came later and they could punch in the B-roll in post. Smart thinking, but a buzz-kill nonetheless. Oh well...I just felt bad the Guinness people came down for nothing.

5:10pm - Back in my office and suddenly, a white streak across the sky begins to form. "It's happening!" I yelled out, and not 30 seconds later I have half the floor in my office looking outside the window, watching a HUGE "@" character being formed. Holy shit this is actually happening!!!

...and then...it just STOPPED. As if the pilot decided to just call it a day, or got the wrong directions or what-have-you. But as quickly as it started, it was over and people rifled out of my office, all with the same word: "Fail".

Then, it started again, but by now it was all "Cry Wolf", knowing it was never really going to happen. I watched for a few more minutes as the little plane cut strange hieroglyphics through the blue sky, but it was never going to be what was intended. Now it was just a cruel joke:

@AOTS 8===============>
(Its a big cock....get it?)

Here was the result:

Shot with iphone. Click to enlarge.

It was a great idea, and the planning on AOTS's part seemed A+. Execution?
F+. Click.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home