Sunday, June 28, 2009

Shot of the Day #179: Oddscaping

Shot with iphone. Click to enlarge.

On our way to THE PUMP STATION (great name) for their annual product fair in Santa Monica/Brentwood, we happened upon this very strange house on 24th street. Now, I'm all for adding personality to your home...but this is redick-alous.

Seriously...10 bucks the owner of the home is probably female and most likely the owner of more than 10 cats. Click to enlarge the shot to get the full impact of some of the lawn decor...especially the dog in mid-shit with a "NO!" emblazoned on his ass. Classic mania.

Afterwards, I checked out THE HURT LOCKER, directed by one of my personal favorites, Kathryn Bigelow. A MASTERPIECE, clearly her best film since NEAR DARK (even though POINT BREAK is a blast of a flick), HURT is a film that I feel will haunt me for days. It's also likely to be the best action thriller of 09, with sequences that were so powerfully paced and structured, I felt like I was in the thick of "the shit", and Jeremy Renner's performance is the stuff Oscars are made for, a role so complex yet made effortless by Renner's cool-breeze approach to bombs like they are Rubix cubes. Between him and Rockwell in MOON, we have some contenders...



Do yourself a favor: Seek this film out as a great palate cleanser after TRANSFORMERS or TERMINATOR left a bad taste in your maw. HIGHLY recommended. I'm more excited to see it AGAIN already.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home