Monday, December 21, 2009

Shot of the day 355: The Wall on Wilshire

Shot with iphone, click to enlarge.

A crisp, chilly day and Im standing outside, on the verge of being sick, waiting for another new Gourmet lunch truck to arrive on Wilshire. This time it's the Grill Em All Truck, specializing in Heavy metal burgers while playing the best in the metallic genre. While waiting, I notice behind me a slab of heavily decorated concrete, standing upright in front of a building, and discover that it's actual pieces of the Berlin Wall.

Wow.

Shot with iphone, click to enlarge.

Touching it with my hand, feeling the coarse, cold cement on my hand, and instantly I was transported back to my Junior High class when we watched on TV when the wall was torn down, a significant moment on many fronts for many, many people. Now it stands, a symbol of freedom, overcoming adversary....only to be an art installation in front of one of the major buildings in Los Angeles that represent commerce (I believe its the Variety building).

What's crazy (in my own geek head) is that 20 years ago the film MIRACLE MILE was released in limited theaters, depicting a final solution scenario where the cold war DIDN'T end, the Berlin Wall still intact, and Anthony Edwards is racing to get to THIS VERY BUILDING for refuge as the bombs from Russia begin to drop. 20 years has passed...and a symbol to the cold war is placed in front of the symbol I always had for safety from the "enemy". Times they have changed.



By the way, the Waste Em All Burger was fantastic, and the Pomme Frittes with Aoli sauce get two Devil's Horns up. God Bless America.

Shot with iphone, click to enlarge.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home