Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shot of the day #143: "Modern" Movie Marketing...

Shot with iphone. Click to enlarge.

So last week, after I got all romantic about the virtues of the invention known as the Breakfast Burrito, I twittered "Who in LA has the best Breakfast Burritos?" and got a flurry of responses, but the most popular choice was Big Tomy's on Pico and Sawtelle. Naturally, I had to seek it out, and lo & behold...it's right down the street from us. Serendipity! So this morning as I trekked out to Big N Final to get foil pans for Bri's cooked dishes for Brian & Theresa's birthday soiree (which, due to constant Remy Wrangling, I took no pictures. Damn! Thank god other people did) I decided to check out the place for myself, and when I walked in, not only did it have a distinct smell (is that vinegar and....balls?) but the place was decorated in old-tyme movie posters, including the one you see above for Chaplin's THE KID. What struck me is...have you ever seen movie marketing that actually described things like how long the filmmakers worked or how many reels the film is? So strange but I guess they didn't have the "thumbs" system or douches like Ben Lyons or Gene Shalit to blurb the shit out of a film to plaster across posters, TV ads and internet banners. Just like the movies themselves...they don't make 'em like they used to, huh?

Could you imagine if that type of marketing applied today?

For James Cameron's AVATAR:
"This is an ambitious and expensive picture upon which the famously ego-centric and detail-oriented director has worked 5+ years on....300 gigabytes of joy!"

...just rolls off the tounge, doesn't it?

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home