Thursday, April 19, 2012

Shot of the Day 12.110: Memories at the Movies

Shot with iPhone & CameraBag, click to enlarge.

Walking to a late night (final) screening of Joseph Kahn's twisted & fun DETENTION in Burbank, which is more than a hop, skip and a jump away but I was glad to drive over, but what stopped me was this view, which was so strangely familiar. I immediately remembered at that moment; this was my first REAL view of Los Angeles when I came to the hallowed city in '99 for the first time to attend a friend's wedding. We went right from the airport to this Burbank AMC, which had a line around the block for the opening night of Doug Liman's ALSO twisted & fun GO (seeing a pattern here) which I was very excited for. Alas...we didn't get in, BUT hope sprung in the form of a Double Double from In N Out, which I had only heard of from afar. Needless to say, if you've ever had an In N Out burger, you know my night ended up A-OK. But just being in this area, knowing we were (kinda) in tinseltown, was an ELECTRIC feeling. The air felt warm and inviting on every inhale, the people so filled with energy and positive vibes (what a ruse that was) and just the whole notion of being HERE...it was an exciting night for sure.

But being back here 13 years, MANY movies and a LOT of life later, was a great way to put things into perspective, even if a LOT has changed about myself and the movie business I'm now working in, but this sight was all too familiar (just...a lot less people in line, which also says something).

I think if the '99 me saw into the future wormhole (OR...DETENTION style, spoiler!) and got to peek at the '12 me, I think he'd be pretty thrilled where things were headed. Might have also commented on my weight and hairline, to which I would have kicked him in the balls at 88 mph and sent him back in time. Jerk.

Joe

PS: See DETENTION!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home