Thursday, July 23, 2009

Shot of the Day #204: A Sliver of Genius

Shot with iphone. Click to enlarge.

That there is one Peter Jackson, talking to a lucky few ComicCon attendees (and believe me, I REALLY did luck-check myself; this was beyond an honor) after a private screening of DISTRICT 9, a film he produced that might be my favorite film of the summer, and absolutely solidified a place in my top 10 of the year. Am I bias on the forthcoming film because Im in front of one of my heroes right now and still buzzing from the cozy, informal(esque) post-screening chat? No way. DISTRICT-9 will blow you away. It reminded me of the summer-movie awe on my face when I saw ALIENS as a giddy 10 year old kid, but with a modern, smart, satirical slant. But here, Mr. Jackson also discussed his new movie THE LOVELY BONES and then showed us a special trailer, which we all ate up like Whores Devores. The movie, based on a book I read last year and love, looks dark, beautiful, shocking, sweet & absolutely powerful. If it falls anywhere near HEAVENLY CREATURES, I'll be very happy.

But not as happy as I am sneaking this picture. Honestly, this man shaped my ambition to be a film director, forcing me to emulate his "Know everything, DO everything" work ethic that has gotten him to creative success from high-concept, micro-budget splatter flicks (BAD TASTE, MEET THE FEEBLES, DEAD ALIVE) to gracefully structured dramas (HEAVENLY CREATURES) to blockbuster scope (The LOTR series, KING KONG)...the man can do it all, and all in his own back yard. I remember hearing how he crashed on Mike Deluca's couch when the New Line Executive Enfant Terrible was giving Peter a shot at pitching ideas for NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, or how he made BAD TASTE over 7 years, forcing everyone in the cast to keep the same haircuts until it started to itch (figuratively...and literally) till it was completed, where the film was cut on a Movieola mini-scope in his Mum's kitchen. This was Peter Fucking Jackson...and he was 2 feet away from me.

Afterwards I got to shake his hand and give him WT2, and while I know its shameless for me to do so, that I could give him something back for all the cinematic inspirado he's provided for me with something of my own will likely be the major highlight of this whole ComicCon Hurricane. That would have been enough, right? But that he held the DVD case in his hands and said 'Oh I know this movie! You did this? Excellent!" was enough for me to walk away with a gigantic grin. He could use the movie hold open the front door to WETA and I'd be happy, and now I am.

Funny...This was just one memorable bullet point in an otherwise mentally ill day, all things considered. It was the first official day of ComicCon and our extensive coverage of the madness it holds within. Overall the production went smooth as Jazz, everyone really came together and nailed the day's events, which you can check out HERE as we trudge along it's Twilight inflected waters till Saturday night...hope we make it out alive.

Shot with iphone. Click to enlarge.

Oh, did I mention there was a GWAR show to cap the night off right?

As crazy as it's been-and it's only been one fucking day-I can't say that Day 1 hasn't been memorable. Now, will Day 2 be as exciting?

Joe

PS: Ill be twittering the shit out of ComicCon. Join me, won't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home